Monday, January 14, 2019

IELTS speaking part 2: Something you bought but haven’t used yet


Topic cue card:

Describe something you bought but haven’t used yet.

You should say:

        what it is

        when and where you bought it

        why you bought it

and explain why you haven’t used it.

Answer:

I would like to talk about the trench coat that I bought last year before my trip to Ha Noi.

Although I am currently living in Ho Chi Minh city, my hometown is in the north of Vietnam. Because it is in the mountainous area, the weather is really cold during winter.

Last year I decided to visit my parents during the Tet holiday. I had to prepare for the trip one month in advance in case something unexpected might happen. I went to the weather forecast website and found out that it might be extremely cold during the Tet holiday in the northern part of Vietnam, so I was a bit worried. I had been living in Ho Chi Minh city for too long and got used to the warm weather here, and I could not be sure if I could bear the cold in my hometown. As a result, I decided to look for a big wool coat to cover myself up against the chilly wind. I found the trench coat on an online store and ordered it to my place.

To my surprise, when I arrived in Ha Noi, I found the weather not cold at all. It was even quite comfortable and most people just wear a sweater or a light jacket. The big trench coat seemed totally out of place so I put it away. During the following days, the weather was still warm, and I had no chance to wear the coat. It stayed in my suitcase until I returned to Ho Chi Minh city.

From that time I haven’t used the coat and it has been left in my wardrobe since then. But I think I might need it in the future when I travel to somewhere cold, for example, to Canada, where my sister is currently living.

Similar topics:

Describe something you own but not use often.

Describe something you bought which you were not happy with.

Describe something you bought and were happy about.

Describe an item you have recently bought.

Describe an item of clothing that you purchased but you did not like.

No comments:

Post a Comment